Monday, May 5, 2008

Health Care: Part 2 of 3

So, let me tell you about my firsthand experience with hospital system screw-ups—in fact, maybe Hillary should take this one on the road with her. As I said before, my jaw dislocated for the first time in six years this past January. It happened at midnight, so the urgent care centers weren’t open—fabulous timing, I know. My boyfriend took me to the nearest ER, because the key to this problem being resolved without anything intravenous is getting the jaw relocated quickly. Apparently, there was only one doctor working the night shift at this ER (Strike 1), so I sat for an hour while the staff took no one back although many people were discharged. I have to say, there was an overwhelming lack of urgency for this being an emergency room. I understand that it’s the staff’s priority to keep the ER under control, but when I’m sitting there looking like “The Scream,” quietly drooling on myself, and there’s a guy in the corner making noises that don't even resemble humans, you might want to pick up the pace. Apparently not. Strike 2.

Dislocating your jaw is an unnatural position, so if I have to wait longer than 45 minutes the jaw muscles start to spasm and I begin going into shock. As I said, it’s a real good time. I began to feel this coming on, and with no sign of relief from the ER staff, we drove to another hospital. Once we got there, the shock was making me nauseous and dizzy; my boyfriend immediately started warning the staff. Everyone at this hospital was taking their good old time too and soon enough the nausea became too much and I threw up all over the intake nurse’s office. This was right in the middle of her leisurely admit Q & A--Score 1 for me. I had eaten chocolate ice cream that night, so everyone thought that this was a major bowel obstruction. You bet they took me back real quick, and on a stretcher-- such service! There was no way I could tell them it was just ice cream, and my boyfriend couldn’t tell them either because they made him stay in the waiting room due to some hospital regulation. Miraculously though, I got through to them. Unfortunately, they seemed to take this as a sign for a coffee break, because I then had to wait for another half hour to be given any pain killers, not to mention a muscle relaxant. These drugs have to be in my system before a doctor can relocate my jaw, so all in all I waited two and a half hours for something that’s a 30 second fix. Strike 3.

I take this experience as a classic series of fumbles by the hospital system, mostly relating to the long wait and the staff’s lack of response. Now, long emergency room wait times are a well-known and politicized problem in Los Angeles hospitals, but what really drives home this “policy issue” for me is that I wouldn’t have thrown up or needed the I.V. therapy (a $767.85 charge on my statement) had the hospital system worked as intended. Not only did I have to endure it all, but I then had to pay for the medical complications that directly resulted from their problems. I did my part, I went to the doctor right away, and I gave them all the information they needed and then some. But I still have to pay.

This proves once again that the health care system is not set-up for preventive care. I did a fine job of explaining that that the unlocking procedure was simple, that it would take about a minute, and I needed to be seen as soon as possible--which was true at the onset. Still, no one went to check with a doctor. As time went on, I also told them how serious the situation was getting, but no one would listen to me or take my word for anything until something happened that proved it. Now I understand that people often exaggerate their problems, overestimate their severity or simply don’t understand “first come, first serve.” But do we have to be shot to get some action out of these places?

I also understand that ER staff see urgent situations all the time and it’s crucial for staff to stay calm so the place is under control. But what I saw in there behind the desk were not concerned, dedicated employees just trying to do their best. I saw unhappy, lazy, and most of all, desensitized people who assumed when you walked in that your problems weren’t as bad as you thought. You could wait until everyone was ready.

Perhaps it was a similar mentality that led to that woman dying on the floor at LA’s King-Harbor hospital. Where are these stories coming from? Is it just that ERs don’t have enough doctors and nurses to support the increasing volume of patients? Have hospital staff become bitter and apathetic at work because they’re not being paid enough? Is there not enough public health regulation of hospitals? To look into these questions, Part 3 of this series will be an audio recorded interview with Bruce Benton, former president of the Los Angeles chapter of the Association of Health Underwriters and owner of Los Angeles-based Smith Benton Insurance.

No comments: